CAMOGIE: All-Ireland Cup heartbreak for St Killian’s College

Ellen Leech scored Tower's second goal in the defeat to Rochfortbridge. INLT 50-921-CON
Ellen Leech scored Tower's second goal in the defeat to Rochfortbridge. INLT 50-921-CON

Fr Davies’ Cup holders St Killian’s Garron Tower lost out the All-Ireland semi-final to Leinster champions, St Joseph’s Rochfortbridge.

They got a great start with Siobhan McKillop’s effort at a point dipping viciously into the Rochfortbridge net after four minutes. Soon after, McKillop fired low, the goalie parried and Ellen Leech followed up for a second Tower goal.

The Ulster champions dominated play for most of the opening half but they failed to put away enough of their chances.

Rochfortbridge lived on scraps, yet went in just a point in arrears at the break, 2-3 to 2-2.

They took the lead with a goal on 38 minutes and after that were well composed, soaked up a lot of pressure but still tagged on points to see them over the line.

After that two-goal start from the Tower, Rochfortbridge snatched a goal against the run of play with Hannah Core sneaking one in at the post.

Laoise McKenna kicked a point in reply and Sinead Convery blasted another to put Tower five points up. But in the last five minutes of the half, Aoife Doherty created problems for the St Killian’s defence and the result was a 1-2 return on the scoreboard with only a point in return from Mary Kane.

Early in the second session St Killian’s had several chances to add to their total, but only managed to register a point from Laoise McKenna.

Ciara O’Looney put over a free for the visitors before the key moment in the game in the 38th minute. Tower full-back Ellen Hynds took possession of the sliotar, but appeared to be fouled. However, the referee allowed play to continue and Jade McKeogh took advantage to fire high into the Tower net.

Sinead Convery blasted over from close range for St Killian’s when a goal was a more likely possibility. At the other end, free-taker O’Looney scored two points to stretch Rochfortbrifge’s lead.

Dervla Cosgrove brought a diving save from Edel Conaty before McKeogh, who had grown in stature after her goal, added two late insurance points to send Rochfortbridge through to the final on March 5 where they meet Mercy Convent from Roscommon.