Larne unbeaten after victory at home to PSNI

Ryan McAlister in action for Larne RFC 1st XV in their game against PSNI 1st XV at Glynn. INLT 47-022-PSB
Ryan McAlister in action for Larne RFC 1st XV in their game against PSNI 1st XV at Glynn. INLT 47-022-PSB

Larne marked their first competitive match in four weeks with a huge 62-11 victory at home to PSNI.

The home side knew nothing but a win would do with promotion-chasing Limavady and Lurgan already a few points ahead having played extra matches. But Saturday’s straightforward success means Larne are the only unbeaten team in Qualifying Three.

From kick-off the men in red put early pressure on the visitors and it didn’t take long to cross the line with McAlister going over in the corner, having gathered a delicate cross-field kick.

PSNI hit back with a penalty but Larne took control when Jordan Burns bagged himself a brace and McAlister added his second.

The Newforge men responded by stifling a blistering run from McKinty and running in a score of their own thanks to their pacey scrum-half.

However, it proved to be their last points of the afternoon as the home side asserted its authority with some beautiful, fast-flowing rugby against the odds in the slippery conditions.

With strong line breaks, notably by the McIlheron brothers and Hunter, there was good support on hand which saw a well-worked try finished off by Agnew in the corner giving the Glynn me 31-10 lead at the break.

The second half started in a similar fashion to the first, when straight from kick off Larne produced a great kick-chase and Rea was rewarded for his hard work in the scrum when he pounced on a loose ball and managed to get over the line.

PSNI heads really began to drop and they never got back into the game after this with Larne dominating both possession and territory for the remainder.

Further tries from Hall and McKinty put the game out of sight and at this stage the visitors were looking for the final whistle.

In need of match fitness, Larne insisted they play at least another 10 minutes and PSNI obliged.

But when McIlheron picked up a try from kick-off and Agnew crossed for his second within a short space of time, both teams agreed to call it a day.

Next up (November 22): Limavady. away, Gordon West Cup.