Glenarm Road men progress in Irish Senior Cup


On Saturday Larne entertained NIBA team Lisnagarvey in the second round of the Irish Senior Cup. The visitors had a few big names in their line-up and nothing would be taken for granted, despite their poor league form.

Alan McLean’s four found themselves in a dogfight early on and he had to be at his best to keep his rink ahead. Eventually his men took charge and extended their advantage to double figures. A last-end lapse took the sheen off their scoreline but they still finished with a fine 25-19 success.

David McRandal’s four were involved in the tightest tussle of the day and there was never more than three in the game. A loss of three on the final end meant a second one-shot defeat in two games, for the previously unbeaten rink.

Michael Murphy’s men found themselves up against an inspired skip and trailed from the start. However, they stayed in touch until the final ends to lose out by nine.

Andy Kyle capped a great week for himself and Larne with an all-the-way 14-shot victory. Alan Mairs and Simon Bell were on fire at the front end.

Larne progressed to the last 16 and have drawn Coleraine away, to be played on June 6.

Congratulations to Darren Witherspoon and Andy Kyle on their selection for the PGL Senior Team, and also Michael Murphy who travels as a reserve.

PGL Senior Cup

The PGL Senior Cup got under way last Thursday and Larne once again were drawn away to Ballymena. It’s been a few years since the Glenarm Road men have given Ballymena much to think about, but they won this one comfortably.

Kyle, returning to his old stomping ground, bagged a 20-16 result with Ian Semple enjoying a great game at lead.

Harry Millar, Eddie Wilson, Andrew Robinson and Murphy came up against Jim Baker’s rink and landed a superb 20-8 victory.

McRandal’s quartet lost by a shot 19-20, while McLean’s four battled all the way but were always playing catch-up. The eventual 16-21 defeat, however, meant that Larne won the game comfortably overall.

Larne face another away match at Ards in the quarter-finals.