‘We have got to learn from our mistakes,’ McMullan urges

Larne's Ciaran Murray in action during Saturday's 5-0 defeat at Inver Park. INLT 16-236-AM
Larne's Ciaran Murray in action during Saturday's 5-0 defeat at Inver Park. INLT 16-236-AM

After Saturday’s 5-0 drubbing at the hands of the Welders, Larne’s Stuart McMullan insists he and his team-mates must learn from their mistakes.

The Inver Reds suffered their heaviest defeat of the season against the Tillysburn Park men.

After a promising start the Reds went in a goal down at the break. After the restart they went to pieces as Michael McLellan took his tally in the game to four with Davy Rainey adding the fifth.

“In the first half we played quite well until an individual error gifted them a late goal which killed us,” said McMullan. “Then the errors continued in the second half and even if you are the best coached team in the world those type of errors will be costly.

“We had plenty of the ball in the first half without creating clear-cut chances and we will have to learn from our mistakes.

“As a team we let our heads drop and didn’t pick ourselves up again. We can’t use the excuse of missing players and hopefully today was a one off. We know as a group of players we are better than that and hopefully we can go out on a high next week.”

Asked about his plans for next season, McMullan added: “I have spoken to the manager and if I am going to be playing in the Championship next season it will be at Larne as I have really enjoyed my time here.

“I am keeping my options open as my job as a teacher sometimes gives the opportunity of going abroad so I will wait and see what comes along.”

Larne had the first clear-cut chance on 27 minutes. Darren Stuart was played in on the left side of the box but Michael Dougherty was quickly out to block the shot.

With a minute of the first half remaining a cross from the right was allowed to find McLellan and his header found the net.

The Reds then went missing in action as the visitors scored three goals in four minutes. With an hour gone a corner from the right fell to Ryan Deans. His shot was pushed onto the bar by John Connolly and Rainey was onto the rebound in a flash to fire home.

McLellan added the third when he calmly picked up a defence-splitting pass, giving Connolly no chance.

Failure to deal with another corner allowed the ball to break to McLellan who took full advantage.

The big striker completed the rout two minutes from time. This time Scott McMillen played him in and despite Connolly’s best efforts the ball sneaked over the line.