MATCH REPORT: Larne 0 Knockbreda 3

Larne midfielder Scott Irvine
Larne midfielder Scott Irvine

Larne were hoping to bounce back from their opening day reversal at Dergview but the misery continued on Wednesday night again went down 3-0 - this time at home to Knockbreda.

The only positive on the night was the return to first-team action for Scott Irvine who was introduced as a second-half substitute.

“For some reason it is just not happening and it really was just as bad if not worse than the game at Dergview. We know people can play, so there must be something else, we are a lot better than what we have showed so far,” said boss, Davy McAlinden. “We have a good squad but in our first two games we have been far too easy to play against.

“The numbers don’t lie. We have conceded six goals in two games and haven’t scored any. Players need to.stand up and be accountable but if you don’t squeeze the ball and give away silly goals you can see the result,”

Larne started brightly but found themselves a goal down after 20 minutes. The ball was played in from the right to Jordan Hughes who picked his spot giving the keeper no chance.

The visitors should have extended their lead before the break. Firstly, John Donnelly was forced to clear off the line then Owain Beggs wasted a great chance shooting over the bar from 10 yards.

Larne should have gone in on level terms but Darren Stuart failed to convert a gilt-edged chance after good work by Tommy Robinson.

A dreadful mix-up between Stuart McMullan and Paddy Flood gifted Carl McCombe a second goal within a minute of the restart.

The game was over as a contest when the visitors added their third on 65 minutes. David McMaster was the provider for Beggs and his shot flew under the diving Flood.

Up next for the Reds is a home Steel & Sons Cup tie at home to Ballymoney United which has a 2.30pm kick off.

LARNE: Flood, Woods, Bradley( Donnelly 20), Smyth, Rodgers , McMullan, Burns, G.Gillan, , Maguire, Stuart (Irvine 60) Robinson (McCabe 60) unused subs: Reynolds, McGoran.

KNOCKBREDA: McErlean, King, Cockcoft, Owens, Ferguson, McCain, McMaster, Hanna, McCombe, Beggs, Hughes. Subs: Halliday, Johnson, A.Wright, J.Wright, Wilson.

Referee: D.Hassan (Ballymoney)