CHAMPIONSHIP 1: Keke nets hat-trick as Larne put six past DC

Donegal Celtic manager Nicky Maye and Larne boss Davy McAlinden. Photos: Presseye
Donegal Celtic manager Nicky Maye and Larne boss Davy McAlinden. Photos: Presseye

Larne made the trip to Suffolk Road to face Donegal Celtic and went home with three points thanks to an emphatic 6-1 win, with Guillame Keke bagging a hat-trick after coming from a goal down.

“We asked for a response after the performance last week and we certainly got it, winning so convincingly. Sometimes I think we should control the game for 90 minutes, but that isn’t possible. At times you need to sit in but I thought at times we were excellent with our movement and our keeper Paddy Flood had his best game of the season,” said manager, Davy McAlinden.

It didn’t look good for the Reds when they fell behind after three minutes. A poor back-pass was picked up by Paul Brown who gave the keeper no chance.

Larne responded in style with two goals in three minutes. Michael McClean battled to win the ball in the box and crossed for Keke to fire home.

Paul Maguire set up the next crossing for Tommy Robinson to blast it high into the net.

Stuart McMullan looked to have added a third when he headed a Gerard Gillan corner goal-ward, but the referee said it hadn’t crossed the line.

The game was effectively wrapped up 15 minutes from time. James McCabe chased down a long ball and showed good control before delivering a clinical finish.

The home side then lost their keeper e to injury as Larne fired in three further goals in six minutes.

McCabe turned provider to set up Keke for an easy finish, before Gillan added the fifth. With a minute remaining, Keke outmuscled the home defence to complete the rout.

DONEGAL CELTIC: McIlhone, B. Shannon, M. Shannon, Bradley, Curley, Niblock, Halfpenny, Devine, Smith, Lynch. Subs: McLaughlin, Henderson, McNunnce, McVarnock.

LARNE: Flood, Bradley, McClean, McMullan McGrandless, Stuart (McManus 80), McGonnell (Smith), Gillan, Maguire (McCabe 15), Keke, Robinson. Unused subs: Rodgers, Stitt.

Referee: N. Robinson