Each week there’s a new viral trend or challenge that’s making its way across the internet.
The most recent challenge that’s got everyone talking is the the LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Tinder meme that was kicked off by the one and only Dolly Parton.
How did it start?
The challenge started when country singer Dolly Parton posted a collage of four pictures with the captions “LinkedIn”, “Facebook”, “Instagram” and “Tinder” on her Instagram page.
For LinkedIn, she opted for a photo of herself in a buttoned up blazer, while for Facebook she chose a picture of herself wearing a Christmas jumper. For Instagram, the singer went for a trendy black and white image in which she is leaning against a wall with a guitar and, finally, for her Tinder picture, she chose a picture of herself in a Playboy bunny costume.
The collage was accompanied by the caption, “Get you a woman who can do it all” with a winking emoji. At the time of publication, the post has racked up over 600,000 likes.
What is the Dolly Parton Challenge?
The viral craze asks people to choose four photos of themselves, according to what would be considered appropriate for each online platform – the more contrasting, the better.
For LinkedIn, you should opt for something professional. For Facebook, something fun and casual. For Instagram, be cool and trendy. And, for Tinder, it has to be something flirty.
The best examples so far
Everyone has been getting on the meme, including a variety of A-listers.
Ellen DeGeneres opted for a picture of herself wearing a smart suit and glasses for her LinkedIn photo and an almost unrecognisable picture of her with a long blonde wig and a revealing dress for her Tinder photo.
She captioned it, “When my agent asks if I can play different roles.”
The Jonas Brothers also got in on the craze, posting a picture of the three brothers lying by a pool for their Tinder photo.
“Wow. So versatile,” the caption read.
Star Wars star, Mark Hamill, opted for a photo of a younger photo of himself sporting a deep v-neck and braces.
One commenter on the Instagram post said, “The Tinder one is epic” with a laughing emoji.
It’s not just humans that are getting in on the meme – it’s animals too. People’s Choice Award Winner and Instagram famous dog, Doug the Pug, posted his own version of the challenge.
The Instagram picture saw the dog dressed up in a cool orange hat and green jacket, posing with an Instagram-worthy cup of coffee.
Past similar crazes
The previous decade has seen a multitude of viral online crazes – do you remember the following?
- The Mannequin Challenge, which came about in October 2016. It saw people trying to remain as still as possible while someone else recorded a video moving around them
- The Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge saw people using items like shot glasses to create a seal around their lips which, when removed, would be enlarged and puffy
- The Bottle Cap Challenge had people attempting to kick off the cap of a bottle without knocking over the bottle itself
- The Cinnamon Challenge encouraged people to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon and trying to swallow it – it usually ended up with the person choking
- The Ice Bucket Challenge, which saw people donating money to ALS charities and dumping ice cold buckets of water of their heads