‘Easter at home’ plea in Mid and East Antrim as restrictions ease

Mid and East Antrim residents are urged to stay at home and in their “bubble” this Easter despite some easing of Covid pandemic restrictions from today (Thursday).

Thursday, 1st April 2021, 10:16 am

The appeal comes ahead of the holiday period which would normally see families flock to popular outdoor locations.

While the majority of the current restrictions will remain in place until after Easter, the Executive has agreed the following from April 1:

• Up to six people (including children) from two households may meet outdoors in a garden;

Council's Easter programme is online.
Council's Easter programme is online.

• Permit 10 people from two households to undertake outdoor sporting activities as defined in the regulations. This allows sports such as golf and tennis to resume from this date in small groups;

• Garden centres and plant nurseries can operate a contactless click and collect service.

According to the latest Department of Health Covid dashboard update the coronavirus-linked death toll in Northern Ireland stands at 2,111.

Earlier this week, the SSE Arena in Belfast opened as a mass vaccination centre with a capacity for up to 40,000 people per week.

Since March last year, police have issued a total of 524 Covid penalty notices in the borough.

PSNI Mid and East Antrim continue to urge people to “make the right call and stay at home and in your bubble to prevent the spread of Covid-19”.

“You should only travel for an essential reason to reduce social contact with others. Following the health regulations is helping to reduce the infection rate,” police added.

And Mid and East Antrim Council is backing the safety message with virtual Easter celebrations

The Mayor, Councillor Peter Johnston, said: “Join us on our social media channels from Wednesday 7 to Friday 9 April, from the comfort of your own home, and take part.”

Meanwhile, the local authority has reintroduced online booking for Sullatober household recycling centre ahead of what is traditionally one of the busiest times of the year for the service.

A spokesperson said: “Recently there have been significant queues at Sullatober household recycling centre. At the council meeting in March it was agreed the booking system be re-introduced to ensure an even flow of traffic through the site, less waiting time for residents, and reduced impact on other businesses who use the roadway.”

Council also stressed that Easter Tuesday (April 6) is the busiest day of the year at household recycling centres and urged residents to “consider visiting us on a different day”.

Click here to read: Bryson Recycling collection arrangements for Easter

--

Thank you for reading this article. We’re more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers. Please consider purchasing a copy of the paper. You can also support trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription of the News Letter.