NIHE urges tenants to insure home contents

editorial image

THE Housing Executive has urged tenants to insure home contents against flood damage.

In recent years, families in the Larne area have had to replace carpets and furnishings after heavy rain caused flooding in their homes. Some did not have their possessions insured.

A spokesman for NIHE explained: “The Housing Executive or housing associations will carry out repairs to the structure of their properties. It is, however, the tenant’s responsibility to have insurance cover for personal property, furnishings and the decoration of their home.”

For many, with competing pressures on the household budget, house contents insurance may not seem a priority. But we are urging everyone, including Housing Executive and housing association tenants, to have their possessions insured. If you do not have insurance for your personal property, you run the risk of having to find all the money necessary to repair or replace items that have been damaged.

The spokesman concluded:

“Over the past few years there have been many examples of extensive damage being caused by flooding, fire and severe cold spells resulting in burst pipes. Many of those affected had no insurance.”

There are numerous contents insurance policies available and you can obtain details by looking in your yellow pages or contacting your local insurance broker. Alternatively, visit Supporting Communities NI website