Larne’s Curran Court Hotel is to be sold as a going concern after it went into administration a fortnight ago, the Times understands.
The hotel was taken over by administrators Ernst and Young on July 26, and subsequently underwent a two-week assessment period to determine its viability as a business.
During a meeting on Wednesday August 10, the Times understands that staff were told a decision had been made to place the property on the market.
A source told the Times: “The administrators said that the business will be sold as a going concern so it will remain open until a buyer is found.
“In the circumstances it is the best thing which could have been hoped for for the remaining staff, as it gives them job security going forward.
“The staff morale was a bit down but I expect it to pick up a bit now that they have more job certainty.”
However, the source also revealed that on Monday five people, with a total experience of 150 years between them, had been paid off.
Despite the hotel going into administration, the source added that visitor numbers to the hotel had actually increased.
“We haven’t noticed a drop, it has been busy with people in spending their vouchers and no doubt going forward it will continue to be like that,” the source concluded.
The Curran Court was formerly owned by Crawford Leitch and was part of the Curran Court Hotel Ltd group.
The group included The Bodega Bar and the former Curran Court Hotel site on the Curran Road, which are also in administration.
At the time of going into administration, the 33-bedroom hotel and bar employed 71 staff.
A spokesperson for administrators Ernst and Young said: “We can confirm that the hotel remains open and that it continues to trade well.”
News that the hotel would not be closing its doors brought a positive response from local people on social media.
Martine Gibson stated: “Well the food there is great and the people are lovely so I hope its a success in the long term.”
Gareth Watson added: “Glad to hear it so as all the staff remain employed!”