Autumn has arrived and as Sainsbury’s Try Team member Arlene Thompson packs away her barbecue, she says it is the time of year when she looks forward to warming stews and casseroles or spicy curries.
“This week’s recipe is a fragrant and gently spiced curry combining sweet butternut squash and plump prawns,” she said.
Spiced squash and prawns with coconut and chilli
Preparation time: 15 Minutes
Cooking time: 25 Minutes
2 tablespoons groundnut or vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 green chillies, finely chopped, plus sliced chilli, to serve
¼ teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons jalfrezi or other medium curry paste
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 x 400ml tins coconut milk
20 large, raw shelled prawns, ideally with tails left on
Juice of ½ large lime
2 handfuls coriander leaves
1. Heat the oil in a shallow-sided pan and gently fry the onion, garlic and chopped chilli for 5-7 minutes, until softened.
2. Stir in the turmeric and curry paste and fry for a further minute.
3. Add the butternut squash and coconut milk, bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Stir in the prawns and lime juice and simmer for a couple of minutes until the prawns are cooked. Check the seasoning.
5. Add most of the coriander and serve topped with the rest and the slices of chilli.
6. Delicious served with basmati rice and lime wedges.