“JERSEY Royals are in season right now and are one of my all time favourites, not only because they taste delicious, but also because they are so easy to prepare,” says Arlene Thompson of Sainsbury’s Try Team.
“There’s no peeling or chopping - just a quick wash and they are ready to go. Try adding an extra dimension to these sweet and earthy potatoes by trying these two recipes using fresh herbs, which are so fresh and full of flavour at this time of year.
“Did you know? Fresh basil can act like a mild sedative which can help if you are suffering from insomnia. Rosemary can stimulate the brain and help with memory loss and nervous tension as well as aid the digestion of fat and improve circulation,” says Arlene.
Jersey Royals in basil butter
750g Jersey Royals, washed and unpeeled
1 large basil sprig
4 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Basil leaves to garnish
1. Place the potatoes in a saucepan of cold water with the basil sprig.
2. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until tender.
3. Drain in a colander and remove the basil. Melt the butter in a pan, add the chopped basil and warm through for 30 seconds, stirring, taking care not to brown the butter. Toss the potatoes in the butter, spoon into a warmed serving dish and garnish with basil leaves.
4. Serve immediately.
Jersey Royals with rosemary
700g Jersey Royals, washed and unpeeled
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
Sea salt flakes
Sprig of rosemary sprigs to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7.
2. Place the oil, potatoes and garlic in a baking dish and toss to combine.
3. Bake for 35 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with rosemary and sea salt flakes, cook for a further 5 minutes. Serve immediately garnished with fresh sprig of rosemary.