Plans were announced to introduce a new ramp at Larne Harbour in November 1985.
A sum of £3m was to be spent on a new twin-level vehicle ramp.
The announcement was made by the Chairman of Larne Harbour Limited, Mr Geoffrey Parker, while at the opening of a new £1.8m terminal.
The ramp would replace a single tier ramp that had been built in 1939.
There were also plans to extend and deepen the quay. This was to accommodate the modern ferries which were operating at the port.
The ramp was expected to be completed in 18 months. It would serve the boats on the Liverpool and Fleetwood routes.
The ramp would be the third at the harbour.