‘Beat the freeze’ is this year’s message from NI Water as it launches the winter preparations campaign.
Following last year’s successful ‘Two step pipe check’, the new message reinforces the call to customers in East Antrim to check that homes and businesses are prepared for the cold weather conditions.
Minister for Regional Development Danny Kennedy said:
“The cold snap in March of this year, following a relatively mild winter, acts as a reminder to prepare our homes and properties, now, before winter returns. Beat the Freeze’ is a quick and cost effective approach to help combat the cold weather.
Simply, take a few minutes to ensure that water pipes are protected and well-insulated. Interim chief executive, Sara Venning, commented: “There are simple procedures the general public can carry out in order to ‘beat the freeze’.
NI Water’s top tips for avoiding frozen pipes include:
1. Insulate water tanks and pipes in unheated areas like lofts, garages and outbuildings;
2. Fix dripping taps – a gentle trickle of water can freeze and completely block the pipe;
Keep your boiler well serviced to ensure your house is heated;
3. If you are away from home during the winter period, open the trap door into the roof space to allow some of the warm air to circulate;
4. If you are away from home you could leave a key with someone who can check the house regularly
6. Know where your stop valve is in the case of an emergency - it is normally situated under the kitchen sink;
7. Do not run your tap to avoid a frozen pipe; a running tap can waste up to 3,000 gallons of water per day;
8. Write down the contact details of a registered plumber in case a pipe does burst.
Customers can obtain a free room temperature cards and ice scrappers by phoning our Waterline number 0845 7440088, emailing or
contacting us through Facebook or Twitter.
There is also a customer care register which is designed to meet the needs of those requiring extra help or support from the organisation. Customers can phone the Waterline number or obtain further information by visiting our website www.niwater.com