sunday was a special day in the history of St John’s Church of Ireland, Glynn.
After five years of planning and seven months in construction, the official opening took place of the new church extension as part of the harvest thanksgiving celebrations.
For a number of years the growing Sunday School found that the existing vestry room was too small for the increasing number of children attending. In addition, the building was without any kitchen facilities, or even a room large enough to hold vestry committee meetings.
After considering many options, architect Ryan Kennedy, of RE Quinn Architects in Dromore was invited to submit a design to give both Sunday School children and parishioniers the extended facilities needed for a modern and active congregation.
The design combined a modern approach to give two bright and spacious meeting rooms, with the careful use of traditional roofing materials. The result is a substantial church extension which is both modern and appropriate for the historic church of St John’s, built in 1840 to a design of Charles Lanyon, the architect best known for his design of Queen’s University.
The building constructors were Piperhill Construction of Ballymoney.