Man charged after drug bust in Carnlough

editorial image

A man is to appear in court after police seized nine suspected cannabis plants during a raid on a property in Carnlough.

Several items thought to be used in the cultivation of cannabis were also removed during the search in the Beechlands area of the village, which took place on Friday as part of the PSNI’s Operation Torus campaign.

A 24-year-old man was arrested and subsequently charged with cultivating cannabis, possessing Class B controlled drug with intent to supply, possession of Class B controlled drug and dishonestly using electricity. He is due to appear at Ballymena Magistrates Court on April 16.

Police said they were unable to provide the Times with an estimated street value for the drugs seized.

Mid and East Antrim Councillor James McKeown said the raid had been carried out after police received information from the local community.

The Sinn Fein man added: “I wish to congratulate the PSNI for their swift response and for taking these drugs out of the area. It is now time for police to seriously crack down on the drugs trade in Carnlough and across the east coast, as it is reaching epidemic proportions.

“In order to tackle the scourge of drugs, police need help from the local community. I would urge anyone with information to contact the PSNI or Crimestoppers.”