A frustrated Craigyhill mother claims she has been “locked in a constant battle” with the Housing Executive over plans to improve wheelchair access at her home.
Rhonda McCombe told the Larne Times that the “terrible state” of the front and back gardens at her Housing Executive property pose “a real danger” to her 19-year-old son Ryan, who is confined to a wheelchair.
The family moved into the house at 45 Craigyhill Bungalows on October 11, and since then they have been waiting patiently for work to be carried out to make the exterior of the property safe for Ryan.
Until then , Rhonda said her son is “basically trapped in the house”.
And she is now at her “wits end” trying to get the situation resolved.
Rhonda added: “It is not safe for Ryan to go out the front or the back of the house because of the terrible state it is in at present.
“The back garden is completely overgrown with vegetation and there are mice and rates running around.
“The front driveway has stones which are not suitable for a wheelchair. This needs to be slabbed over and the paths need to be widened, as it is very difficult for Ryan to get in and out once the car is parked in the driveway.
“The work was supposed to be completed before we moved in, but the date keeps getting pushed back and we don’t seem to be getting anywhere.
“When I contact the Housing Executive to find out what is going on, I keep getting passed around from pillar to post. The whole situation is very stressful.”
Rhonda has now been told that the work is expected to be completed by Thursday, November 21, but she claims she has “lost all faith” in the Housing Executive.
She added: “We have been told so many times that the work will be finished by a certain date, only to see it come and go with nothing being done; why should it be any different this time?
“I intend to lodge a formal complaint with the Housing Executive over this matter,” Rhonda concluded.