Fire forces elderly residents from flats in Larne

NI Fire and Rescue Service
NI Fire and Rescue Service

Elderly residents were escorted from their homes in sheltered accommodation in Larne town centre this morning.

A fire was reported at a flat in the McNeill Court complex on Main Street.

“No one was hurt and all the residents were accounted for,” said Margaret Morrow, warden at McNeill Court, which has 44 residents.

Four NI Fire and Rescue crews, along with paramedics and police attended the scene.

Residents were were provided with shelter in shops on Main Street, including the Drop Inn charity shop, and local cafes provided tea and coffee while the fire was extinguished.

“Everybody has been very kind,” one resident told the Larne Times.

At 11.15am, fire fighters were assessing the extent of the damage.