this week’s choice from Arlene Thompson of Sainsbury’s Try Team is a very summery, fresh-tasting recipe.
“It uses Northern Irish lamb mince, seasonal new potatoes, mint and courgettes. The haloumi cheese, flavoured with lemon, adds extra interest and texture, making these kebabs a must for the barbecue this year,” says Arlene.
British lamb, courgette & halloumi kebabs
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
• 250g new potatoes
• 1 tablespoon olive oil by Sainsbury’s
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 350g Sainsbury’s British lamb mince
• ½ x 28g pack fresh mint, chopped
• 1 British free-range Woodland egg, yolk only
• 25g breadcrumbs
• 150g Sainsbury’s light Cypriot halloumi, cubed
• 1 courgette, thickly sliced
• Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
• 80g bag rocket salad
• 150g Taste the Difference pomodorino tomatoes, halved
1. Put the potatoes in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 8 minutes, until parboiled. Drain, cut in half and set aside. Preheat the grill or barbecue.
2. Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a pan and cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Place in a bowl and let cool, then mix in the lamb mince, mint, egg yolk and breadcrumbs. Season with black pepper and mix well.
3. Roll into 16 balls and thread onto 8 metal or wooden skewers (soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes first), with the halloumi, courgette and potatoes.
4. Mix the remaining olive oil with the lemon zest and brush over the skewers. Cook on the barbecue or under a preheated grill for 15 minutes, turning once or twice, until golden and cooked through with no pink remaining.
5. Serve with the rocket salad and the tomatoes.
Did you know? Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese made from sheep or goats milk and as it has a high melting point, it is delicious grilled or fried and will still stay in shape. This makes it perfect for adding variety and flavour to kebabs.