THIS Saturday (August 25), Sainsbury’s Try Team member Arlene Thompson will be cooking up recipes at a paralympic flame celebration at Sainsbury’s in Carrick from 12 noon to 8pm.
Sainsbury’s are sponsors of the London 2012 Paralympic Games and on Saturday thre will be lots of family fun and local food tasting from local Northern Irish suppliers.
Arlene will be cooking up recipes with Dale Farm’s local cream and cheese - like this week’s recipe for a perfect family dish which provides lots of energy and calcium for strong bones.
Cheesey bacon and courgette pasta
Preparation time: 10 Minutes
Cooking time: 15 Minutes
400g basics pasta shapes
250g smoked bacon, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
2 courgettes (about 250g), chopped
200ml be good to yourself crème fraîche
40g Dromona mature Cheddar, grated
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the pasta shapes, following pack instructions.
2. Meanwhile, fry the bacon pieces in a large frying pan until golden brown, adding the garlic for the last minute or so.
3. Add the courgettes to the frying pan and cook for a couple of minutes with the bacon and garlic until they are slightly softened.
4. Once the pasta is cooked, drain in a colander, then put back in the pan. Add the crème fraîche, some freshly ground black pepper and a handful of grated Cheddar.
5. Gently fold the bacon and courgette mixture into the pasta and grate the remaining cheese on top. Tuck in!
TIP: Instead of courgettes try using sliced red peppers or mushrooms.