Young people on the YMCA Step Up programme got stuck in and made these homemade crispy chicken goujons with Arlene Thompson at Carrrickfergus Cookery School.
Arlene said: “They learned that cooking your own food meant there were no hidden nasties, you knew exactly what you were eating and they tasted so much better.”
Chicken goujons with parmesan and lemon.
30g finely grated parmesan cheese
Zest of 1 lemon
30g plain flour
1 large egg, beaten
Salt and black pepper
4 x chicken breast fillets
1. Mix the parmesan with the zest of 1 lemon and the breadcrumbs in a bowl. Season with salt and black pepper.
2. Slice each chicken breast diagonally, into 4 long strips to make goujons.
3. Place the flour and egg, in separate bowls. Season the flour with salt and pepper.
Coat the goujons first in flour, then in the beaten egg and finally in the breadcrumb mixture. Place in a single layer on a tray.
4. Shallow fry in batches in hot oil for about 3-4 minutes on both sides until golden and crispy and cooked through.
5. When cooked place each goujon onto kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
Serve immediately with your favourite dip or simply with tomato ketchup.
Tips: Leave out the lemon and parmesan to make plain goujons.
Try making this recipe with your favourite fish eg: haddock, cod or plaice.