Early morning blaze tackled at Larne toilet roll factory

editorial image
0
Have your say

Three teams of firefighters extinguished a blaze at a toilet roll factory in Larne in November 1985.

The alarm was raised at the Invercon factory on Curran Road at 4.20am, after workers noticed a number of bales of waste paper were on fire.

When the firefighters arrived on the scene, the building was filled with smoke. They had the blaze under control by 5.30am.

It was thought that the fire was started after sparks ignited waste paper at the site. The sparks were caused by welding which was taking place to repair a machine at the plant.

No one was injured during the incident, but the overnight shift was stopped and the workers were sent home as smoke engulfed the building.

There was a considerable amount of smoke and water damage caused to both waste paper and finished products, but there was no structural damage.

A spokesperson from the factory said that there was a lot of debris left behind after the fire and that a clean up operation had to take place. Workers returned to work the following day once the site was safe to do so.

The cost of the damage was still being assessed at the time of writing.